Sacramento Property Owners' Complete Guide To Effective Termite Control
March 15, 2022 - Termites
When Sacramento property owners think about pest infestations, they usually think about pests like rodents, bed bugs, and cockroaches, pests that can either cause a lot of damage, are noisy, or typically come with a foul odor that makes it easier to identify them. However, one of the most destructive pests in Sacramento is a silent danger. Termites can completely destroy your property, and you would never know they were even there. Evidence of termites can be difficult to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. Read on to learn how to identify a termite infestation and how EcoTech Pest Management can help you before it's too late.
How To Identify A Termite Infestation
Termites conduct their damage in private and in silence, meaning that when property owners discover they have a problem, it's almost always too late to do anything. Below are some signs of termites and things to look out for so you can catch an infestation before the problem becomes too extensive:
- Live termites: If you are lucky, you could possibly stumble across a live termite; of course, this is a sure-fire sign they have invaded your property. Live termites travel in swarms in search of food. You may also notice their feces, which resemble wood pellets.
- Mud tubes: Subterranean termites require moisture to survive. They build mud tubes to travel through to keep them moist and protect them from predators when above the ground. These are long, pencil-sized tubes that you'll find outside your property, with one end allowing them access into your building and the other end anchored to a food source, such as a log or shrub.
- Physical damage: More evidence of termites would be physical damage. As a property owner, take the time to peel back wooden boards and check for termite damage. If they are present, you will find maze-like serpentine galleys, where the termites have been chewing. These galleys are a sign that the infestation is serious, as it means the termites have already chewed through your wooden beams.
The Extent Of Structural Damage Termites Can Create
If a termite infestation goes on for too long, it will completely compromise your property's structural integrity. These little insects may be small, and they may be silent, but they have the power to, at best, cost you thousands of dollars in damage repairs, and at worst, make your property too dangerous to inhabit. If there are termites in the home, below are some of the ways you will see the extent of termite damage:
- Buckling ceilings or walls: If the infestation is very severe, entire walls and your ceiling could buckle. When termites chew through structural wood, the boards holding up your ceiling and walls become almost hollow, making them sag under the weight of their original burdens.
- Appearance of water damage: The destruction caused by termites can also resemble water damage. The more severe the infestation, the more it'll look like your walls, ceiling, and wood flooring have been underwater, causing a whole other host of problems.
Why Annual Termite Inspections Are So Important
As property owners, our schedules fill up quickly, making the act of actively searching for evidence of termites low on the priority list. However, because termite infestations are so difficult to spot and really only make themselves known when you go looking for them, the best thing you can do for yourself is to hire an expert pest control technician to come and inspect your property for you.
The Secret To Total Termite Control For Sacramento Properties
Calling EcoTech Pest Management not only frees up your time, allowing you to tend to other important things, but you can rest assured that our technician's inspection of your Sacramento property will be done right. We are a family owned and operated business and have served Sacramento business owners for over 34 years. Our expert technicians have the skills, tools, and knowledge required to identify termite activity in your building and safely and effectively exterminate them before they have the chance to cause any more damage. Our team will use eco-friendly home pest control and commercial pest control products and work with you to implement prevention strategies after the termites have been exterminated. Don't give termites the time to destroy your property — call us today for termite control in Sacramento, CA!